« Project Proposal: The Labryinth | Main | An apple is not an orange »

A more modern interpretation

"a side effect of the drug" vs. "merely a semblance of death"

"I wish to God you had never been born" vs. "I wish it had pleased God and heaven that I had never given you life"

"I respect your decision" vs. "I envy you and thank you for you great worth"

So, I just came from watching SHU's production of Life is a Dream, which I enjoyed very much. I did notice some differences between the text chosen by the theatre department and the text that we read. As Matt Henderson (aka: Clarin) states on Angela's blog about the production, the rythm of the text in the play was much "shorter and punchier" and our translation is "slower and a little more labored."

On this note, listed above I have compared the play's line with the corresponding line from the text. Indeed, Matt's analysis seems to be true: the play seems to rely on the short and sweet while our text is more detailed. I think each is fitting to its cause. While using the short and sweet version for a performance may have been a wise choice because it creates a more understandable dialogue for the audience to follow, I think I enjoyed reading the text we were assigned more than I would have enjoyed reading the script chosen by the theatre department. A short and sweet text may be appealing to a listening audience, but, for me at least, the "more labored" text, as Matt describes it, forces readers to become more engaged in the text as they search for meaning. If the answers are phrases bluntly before us, we lose the sense of accomplishment we might find by scouring the text for such understanding.

Course Page

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on March 4, 2009 12:44 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Project Proposal: The Labryinth.

The next post in this blog is An apple is not an orange.