« It Ain't Necessarily So (Prologue, Intro, Chapter 1) | Main | TAKE PART IN THIS! (chapter 4) »

Chapters 2-3 It Ain't Necessarily So

After reading these two chapters, I noticed that the authors seem to only state articles from the New York Times. I was wondering if they (the authors) were doing this on purpose. Is it because New York Times is one of the most popular news papers?

On page 35, the author wrote, "If newsorthy stories are sometimes ignored by the media, it's also true that what's not very newsworthy sometimes makes headlines." I live in a small town and I found this to be true with the newspaper I read. Each week the paper will write an article about a local person and what they are doing with their lives. If an out of towner were to read the newspaper, the article would have very little importance. However, I think because of the close-knit community, the article, although it isn't very newsworthy, is newsworthy to those community members who do care and are interested in what someone else is doing to make a difference in someone's life.

"Don't confuse me with the facts." This quote brought back something that I mentioned in class last week. Too many times, journalists tend to write ALL the facts. Just like last weeks exercises, (where we were asked to remove all the un-necessary details) I feel that articles should not try to confuse the reader with ALL the worthless factual details. Who needs to know that a crime took place at 319th street on a rainy and foggy night?

"But new accounts, as we stated above, should aim for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth -- not the excitement, the whole excitement, and nothing but the excitement." I enjoyed this quote because although I like reading about exciting subjects, I find it more important to read about truthful subjects that I can relate to.

"Tomato statistics: cases in which news reports call attention to alarmingly high numbers of criminal incidents by obscuring the crucial differences that make a few of the incidents far worse than the vast majority of the others." I agree with this quote. Why is that, that news reporters try to make a mountain out of a molehill? If it's not important or newsworthy, then don't write about it! We, as readers, probably don't want to hear it and will end up flipping the page anyway!

""Broad Scope" definition "generally defines the problem the way the persons involved might define it. It includes more minor episodes that may nonehteless be alarming to the participants": to say this, of course, is also to say that the broad-scope definition may include episodes that did not alarm the participants."<--Just thought I'd put that in there incase anyone forget what that was!

Posted by ElyseBranam at October 26, 2005 01:59 PM