« Chapters 10 and Conclusion | Main | Amanda Cochran »

AP Guide To News Writing ::9-10::

::Pseudo-Color Won't Work::
NO, GRAND GENERALIZATIONS and INDISTINCT NOUN-ADJECTIVE COMBINATIONS DON'T ADD COLOR TO WRITING; PARTICULARS DO!!!!
"Charles Caffal is a 43-year-old artisan, built along the lines he admires most. He is as lean as a clothespin-a Shaker invention-and his only ornamentation is a full, reddish beard."
*This is a rich image in a few words, and a long way from essentially mild-mannered. So is this line:
"On hills that are normally green at this time, there's nothing but a sere, parched, dun-colored stubble."

::Don't Overdo It::
COLOR CAN BE OVERDONE!!
For instance--> "Leaders of the seven riches nations convened today for a summit that could reshape the world's econmic landscape to nourish the dizzying blossom of East-West peace and a stem of tenacious underbrush of trade and environmental disputes among themselves."
*Wow, this is just a little too much for a reader to take in. Even after typing/rereading the sentence, I have no idea what I just typed/reread!

NEVER USE A METAPHOR, SIMILE, OR A FIGURE OF SPEECH THAT YOU ARE USED TO SEEING IN PRINT!!!
-Do not worry abotu an occasional cliche
-A cliche is acceptable when it serves your meaning precisely
-Do not use a cliche as a facetious way to inflate a simple idea
-When you must use a cliche, get it right
"We are all working like banshees." (Banshees wail)
-It's impossible to freshen a cliche, so just let it rest!!
-Don't put cliches in quotation marks or apoligize for them coyly with an "as the old cliche has it..."

**::This reading brought my attention to the different cliches that I sometimes use in my writing! Oooopsy! My english teacher would always circle my words and write, "too cliche!" on my paper. After reading this and having Mrs. Dunlap (my English teacher,) I am beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will bite the dust and lash out with my gory details and colorful scenes. :)

^Had to get that one out of my system ;)

Posted by ElyseBranam at November 6, 2005 02:39 PM

Elyse. I know a lot about Sports Reporting and the need for new ways to do it. I write for the Setonian and that is my primary concentration. The lingo and terminology associated with the sport doesn't change, and the fact that it was early in the season the coaches had similar quotes regarding team goals for the year. When it comes to writing about freshemen recruits on teams (any teams) 95% of the coaches I interview say the same thing: "They will be a great asset to us in the future."

Posted by: Leslie Rodriguez at November 11, 2005 10:20 AM