« | Main | Elyse Marie's Blogging Portfolio Numero Uno »

Antony and Cleopatra (Acts I & II) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

okay, this is my second time blogging...and it won't save. Im flipping out here! Im not going to lie...I don't ever understand Shakespeare's work until I hop on the internet and read good ol' Sparknotes. This would have to be one of my favorite plays though.

My favorite character is none other but CLEOPATRA herself! I love her and how she is portrayed throughout the first two acts. I have a few questions...It seems like she is just throwing herself at Antony. And i KNOW she knows that he has/had/has again a wife but yet, she still sends out messengers to find out what the new wife looks like and she is still trying to win over Antony's heart. Is she considered to be the "slut" of the play? She seems like this exotic beauty who everyone wants. Shakespeare appears to make her a strong female and possibly a feminist...? (just takin' a stab at that folks...)

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 21, 2006 05:16 PM

She doesn't seem very strong to me, at least not in this part of the play. She seems jealous and cloying. Cleo goes mad whenever Anthony is away. Perhaps this is all a facade, but right now I don't see her as a very strong, feminist figure.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at February 21, 2006 06:32 PM

Elyse,

Maybe Cleopatra could be considered the "slut" of the play. But also realize that she kept the Roman empire at bay by getting close to Anthony. She uses her beauty for not only her politics but also political matters too. So there is in fact more to Cleopatra than the "drop dead gorgeous" exterior.

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo The Great" Hinton at February 21, 2006 07:24 PM