« The Machine Stops by E.M. Foster | Main | Happy Thoughts. »

Because I Could Not Stop for Death

Throughout highschool, my teachers immensely focused on poetry. At first, I dreaded the thought of walking into a classroom to read "stupid poetry." After graduating, I realize that I am in love with poetry. The emotions that are felt, the memories it brings...it's amazing that a few words can do so much to a reader.

I really enjoyed the poems on pages 43 and 107. I did not understand the other one and I could not relate it to anything that I had experienced in my life. I could relate to Because I Could Not Stop for Death. I picture my grandfather (who died on July 3rd due to cancer) to be carried by a carriage as "death" takes him to his destination, Heaven. This poem brought tears to my eyes when the author states, "And I had put away My labor and leisure too-" because, although my grandfather is no longer in pain, his leisurely activities are gone such as spending time with the people who love him most. I am not going to lie, I miss my grandfather. I realize as he was traveling to his destination, he had many memories from "school" and he understands that he was taken to the "holy place" and buried infront of the people who loved him most. How did you, my classmates and Professor Jerz, relate to this poem?

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 9, 2006 01:18 PM