« | Main | Blank Verse »

Elyse Marie's Blogging Portfolio Numero Uno

Good day! My name is Elyse Branam and I am freshman at Seton Hill University. I am majoring in English Literature and am planning on obtaining my Elementary Education certification along with a Special Education certification. I was assigned to make a blogging portfolio throughout this semester for my professor, Dennis Jerz. I am in his Intro. To Literary Studies class. Enjoy! :)

The entries you are about to read are things that Professor Jerz discussed in my EL 150 class. The blogs are posted to the public and the following areas will be discussed in my portfolio:

Elyse Marie's Collection:
I chose quite a few coverage and depth entries to discuss. My first blog entry deals with the quote "'Always' and 'never' are not words that have much meaning in literary study." This quote was in the book How to Read Literature like a Professor. I added my own feelings towards this quote...

My second coverage/depth entry deals with the author E.M Foster. Professor Jerz gave us an assignment to read The Machine Stops by Foster. In my entry I described different quotes that were in the passage and I described them along with how I felt about the quotes. I related some quotes to symbolism and asked a few questions to get more students involved...

My third coverage/depth blogging entry was blogged on February 3rd, 2006. Professor Jerz gave us the assignment to read chapters 10-12 in How To Read Literature like a Professor. I talked about symbols and allegories. I related these chapters to my highschool english classes and realized that I was thankful that Professor Jerz re-explained everything to his students!...

My forth coverage/depth blogging entry was written about the quote "The world is so full of a number of things,
Iím sure we should all be as happy as kings."
I explained that I didn't know if a king was truly happy...

My fifth and final coverage/depth blogging entry was written about the poem "Because I Could Not Stop For Death." I related this poem to my grandfather who passed away from cancer last June. This poem was not only emotional to me, but I noticed that it was well written, very descriptive, and made the reader feel as if he or she could feel death, itself...

Elyse Marie's Other Entries:
When I was reading How To Read Literature like a Professor, I had a few questions when reading chapters nineteen and twenty. I chose to talk about how geography could develop or even define a character. I know I wouldn't be the same if I lived somewhere else growing up...

Recenty, Professor Jerz started his students in reading Antony and Cleopatra. The play will be showing at Seton Hill University so if you are reading this blog and do not go to Seton Hill University or did not hear about the play, you should check it out on Seton Hill's website for further details! In this blogging entry, I discussed how my favorite character was Cleopatra because she seems to be one of Shakespeare's strongest characters that I have ever seen...

After reading the poem "The Raven", we discussed in class that we didn't know if the Raven was a positive or negative thing in this poem. This blog entry simply states how I feel about the Raven and whether it is a positive or negative object in this poem...

Elyse Marie's Blogged Class Papers:
The only paper I chose to blog was the paper about my literary hero. My literary hero is Jack Kerouac who wrote On the Road. This book was an autobiography. Although he became a depressed drunk, he had written a lot of worthwhile readings...

Elyse Marie's Xenoblogging:
::Comment Informative:: Denamarie asked why the author decided to write about a turtle in one of the poems we read in class. I simply answered her question and gave my own opinion.

::Comment Primo:: I was the first student to write on Denamarie's blog. She created a blank verse and it was about English literature. I related to the poem because I too, am an English literature major and we DO have to write a lot of papers! I asked Denamarie a question about her blank verse...

::Comment Grande:: I commented on Sara's blog when she blogged about Bernice and Marjorie, a story we read for an assignment. I agreed with Sara about what she blogged about and I also suggested a book that she might like.

-:The Link Gracious:- I chose to relate a book (Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging) that I had read over winter break to a story we read in class about two teenage girls. It was quite amusing and both stories were along the same line.

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 25, 2006 11:47 AM

Great work, Elyse!

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at February 25, 2006 04:07 PM

Thank you Professor Jerz! :)

Posted by: ElyseBranam at February 26, 2006 07:52 PM