« Claim, Data, Warrant | Main | oh what a sexual female.... »

Foster (11-13)

Foster (11 and 13) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Is it a symbol?
This is a question my english teachers in highschool frequently asked. My senior English teacher, especially, studied symbols and knew what many of them ment like the back of her hand. Whether it was Shakespeare, another poem or any kind of story, she understood all the symbols. A few times, however, her opinion of a symbol was different then my idea of a symbol. I never raised my hand to ask why her symbolism was the right one, but I now understand that there are many different opinions for what symbols may mean. Sometimes they may not mean anything! Isn't that weird? A symbol that doesn't mean anything such as the color "black." I always thought the color black symbolized death, hatred or something bad is going to happen. Or what about water? Doesn't that ALWAYS symbolize cleansing and washing things away? Give me an instance when water didn't symbolize something! Because all of the poems and stories I am thinking of, water is DEFINATELY a symbol!

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 26, 2006 08:58 PM

You're right that must have been a highschool thing, but I guess everyone has their own symbols. Water and black are two examples that are constantly interpreted so you're right about that too.

Posted by: Erin Waite at February 27, 2006 12:37 PM