« Because I Could Not Stop for Death | Main | »

Happy Thoughts.

Poetry Selections -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

THE WORLD is so full of a number of things,
Iím sure we should all be as happy as kings.

I enjoyed all of these poems, however this is one that I can see a contradiction. Yes, the world is FULL of a number of things...materialistic things. Materialistic things do make people as happy as kings. When I think of a "king" I tend to think of people giving him materialistic things and not emotional items such as love. I believe that materialistic things shouldn't make a person happier, although it can DEFINATELY help! Secondly, how happy is a King? I have never met a King before therefore, I have not the slightest clue as to whether a King is cheerful or gloomy. The only King I can think of is right now is the Lion King...Perhaps because I'm listening to "the Lion King" soundtrack. (hahaha) I think every poem has contradiction and personally, I don't mind playing the Devil's Advocate! :) Let me know what you think about this poem!!

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 11, 2006 02:03 PM

To me, he doesn't sound so certain about this kingly happiness. He says "I'm sure we should." That's like saying "I'm certain that maybe" or "I'd venture we ought to." You could do a close reading of this poem and pick apart every word... and it still might not mean that much.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at February 12, 2006 08:17 PM