« Foster (11-13) | Main | Claim, Data, Warrant »

oh what a sexual female....

After I was done reading this academic article, I confirmed the fact that Cleopatra is a very sexual character throughout the play Antony and Cleopatra. Cleopatra tries to make everyone fall in love with her and the drama/fantasies she brings to the table. I agree with Mike when he says that "It really all comes down to Cleopatra's sexual advances and trickery with Caesar, and his intense focus on politics and business. While Cleo may make references to sex and orgasms, Caesar is more concerned about destroying her and taking over what remains of the civilized East." The play isn't solely about Cleopatra being a sex symbol/goddess...if it were, the play wouldn't be called "Antony and Cleopatra". After reading this, I still feel that Cleopatra is one of Shakespeare's strongest female characters...

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 28, 2006 07:20 PM

Elyse,

Caesar seem to be the first Roman ruler who wasn't interested in going to bed with Cleopatra for any reason. He just want the Egyptian empire. So when Antony dies and Cleopatra is heart-broken he uses this chance to promote Cleo to commit suicide be forcing her to come to Rome. Opportunity knocked and Caesar answered it.

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo The Great" Hinton at February 28, 2006 08:38 PM

That's true Kevin. But you don't think he was interested AT ALL in "Foxy Cleopatra"? (smiling) I mean, come on now! He IS a man...

Posted by: ElyseBranam at March 2, 2006 10:41 AM