« Chapters 10-12 | Main | Because I Could Not Stop for Death »

The Machine Stops by E.M. Foster

"And in the armchair there sits a swaddled lump of flesh- a woman, about five feet hight, with a face as white as a fungus." I really enjoyed reading this sentence. Because of its details and strucute, it made it fun to read it.

Just a few comments... "You talk as if a god has made the machine." I disagree with this quote and how it is used in the context of the paper. I kind of believe that we, human beings, are God's machines and he is operating our life. He has created us through a miraculous event. So, technically, a god HAS made a/the machine.

"Men carried swords about with them, to kill animals and other men." Is this sentence trying to make people in general seem mean and "killers."

"As for Vashti, her life went peacefully forward until the final disaster. She made her room dark and slept..." It seems like black and darkness equal death yet comfort. I found this symbol to be ironic because people do not necessarily match black with comfort. However, these weren't people, they were machines.

*I also noted that anytime the word "blue" was mentioned in the story, the word "isolation" followed right after. It seemed that both words seemed to be connected.

I don't know if I truly enjoyed this story because I do, too, do not agree with machines and technology taking over society. Since when did we, as humans, get soooo lazy that we needed to use machines to make our lives easier? Everything is becoming simpler yet no one seemes to be complaining. I am scared with what the future may provide us with.

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 7, 2006 04:12 PM