« | Main | »

the raven isn't a NEGATIVE thing...!!

Hácová, ''Love, Life and Death in Coleridge's Poem 'The Raven''' -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

The raven, a conventional sign of something rather negative or pessimistic, is hereused as a symbol of tragic anticipation.

Throughout this four page explanation of what the raven is and what it is supposed to symbolize, I have thought of the raven as something different. Usually, yes, the raven is supposed to symbolize something that is negative. However, the raven did not truly do anything NEGATIVE in this poem. The woodsman who cut down the tree was negative. The raven, who planted a seed only to come back and have his tree destroyed, is not a negative character. The raven did not kill the sailor and as a matter of fact, he really had nothing to do with the sailor's death. What do you think?

Posted by ElyseBranam at February 16, 2006 05:00 PM

I dunno, to me, celebrating someone's death and basking in "sweet revenge" is a tad negative to me.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at February 16, 2006 07:51 PM

I don't think the woodsman who cut down the tree did anything wrong. He needed to build a boat. There happened to be a large oak tree. He needed to make his way in the world just as the raven did. I think there was just a coincidence the woodsman chose that particular tree the raven had its nest in, which happened to turn out tragically for both characters.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at February 16, 2006 08:30 PM