« | Main | I think it's rubbish. Complete nonsense!! »

March 19, 2006

The Bear Eats, Shoots and Leaves Part Two

Truss, Eats, Shoots & Leaves 2 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

The rule is: don't use commas like a stupid person. I mean it! more than any other mark, the comma requires the writer to use intelligent discretion and to be simply alert to potential ambiguity. For example,
1. Leonora walked on her head, a little higher than usual.
2. The driver managed to escape from the vehicle.
3. Don't guess, use a timer or watch.
4. The convict said the judge is mad.

*I really enjoyed reading this section. When it comes to commas, I tend to OVERuse them. Better safe than sorry, right? Obviously not when it comes to Truss. I'm considered one of those stupid people who misuse commas! Once reading this chapter, I became more familiar with the use of commas. I also didn't know that the comma is used to represent "and" or "or". I never really thought of it like that so I am glad to see Truss pointed that out for me!

Posted by ElyseBranam at March 19, 2006 03:14 PM

I also enjoyed reading this section and I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one. I always mis-use commas. I am constantly having CS (Comma Splice) marked all over my STW papers. Its a bad habit and I think that it is really hard to break. But I really like how Truss helps you out with the punctuation in a nice enough way instead of saying 'Hey all you stupid people listen up because you do this or that wrong'. I really have enjoyed reading this book.

Posted by: Brittney Aller at March 19, 2006 07:52 PM