« Claim, Data, Warrant | Main | one question about love... »

March 02, 2006

Who is the Protagonist?

Article: Simonds -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I feel as if Shakespeare did not want a protagonist or the typical hero in this particular story. ...taken from Denamarie's blog.

I just wanted to blog about Denamarie's blog. I agree. I feel that Shakespeare didn't really want a protagonist in Antony and Cleopatra. As a matter of fact, if I had to chose a character to be protagonistic, I would choose Mark Antony. The other main characters, Cleopatra and Octavius Ceaser, both seem to be a villian throughout the play. Cleopatra is simply a sex goddess who tricks males into liking her and receiving pleasure...while Ceaser is called a "villain" because he has frustrations with Ceaser. It seems like his main goal is to destroy Antony. However, I am confused when he mourns for the two deaths and want to bury the bodies side by side so they can be together. This would make him an antagonist switched to a protagonist. Throughout the play, Cleopatra is called a "slave", "wrangling queen", "gypsy", and of course, a "whore." I wonder what Denamarie would think about if I called Antony a PROTAGONIST. hmmm...

Posted by ElyseBranam at March 2, 2006 07:21 PM

Hey well I think that Antony would be a good protagonist if he actually knew what he was doing with his life. I think the way Shakespeare created the character was great, but if he really wanted a protagonist that he would have made sure that he would have chose a side to fight for and stick with and stand up for himself.
I think that Caesar was not a "cillian" as you say but more of the quite guy who sits back and watch all the drama and when something seems to go his way, he stands up and says it was all his idea. What do you guys think?

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at March 2, 2006 09:38 PM