« The Diamond Age II | Main | Utopia »

April 18, 2006

Diamond Age III

Stephenson, Diamond Age 3 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Whew! I can't beleive I just read a five hundred page book. Hey folks, it's not about the quantity but rather the quality!! RIGHT?! I really enjoyed this book. Everything came together near the end. I'll have to say that I did enjoy the first part much better than the second part. I don't know why this was, but the first part was more interesting to me when I was able to read about each character and his or her different adventure. Stephenson did a very good job in depicting the main character, Nell. Obviously there were other characters, but Nell was by far, my most favorite because she was talked about throughout the book.

I liked how Stephenson decided to explain about the primers. "There were three coppies in all. The first on went to my granddaughter (Finkle-McGraw's granddaughter)-- as you will appreciate, I tell you this in confidence. A second went to Fiona, the daughter of the artifex who created it. The third fell into the hands of Nell, a little thete girl."
-----Before then, I didn't know exactly where the primers were located nor how many there were.

*There were alot of symbols of drummers and a drumming noise. Was this symbolic of anything or foreshadowing anything to come in the future? Also, is there a movie about this book? I wouldn't mind seeing it so I can compare my imagination to the movie.

Posted by ElyseBranam at April 18, 2006 01:44 PM

Elyse, wasnt weird to read how the three different girls turned out from the Primer. I mean the book did go on the basis of their life, but i thought it was neat to see how they all turned out very different and how Finkle-McGraw said Nell was the most promising of them all.

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at April 18, 2006 08:32 PM

I agree. There was alot of quantity, but the quality ended up balancing it out. I focused on Nell because the human relationships were most interesting to me in this book. Do you think the movie would be better than the book? I think it would make the explainations of the technology easier.

Posted by: Erin Waite at April 18, 2006 08:42 PM

Most definately Erin! I think the movie would have been a three hour long movie, but it would definately explain the story line a lot better and I would have been able to better understand the technology...although thinking about it to myself and creating what the characters looked like was fun...hehe :P

Posted by: ElyseBranam at April 18, 2006 10:53 PM