« Resurrection Blues 3 | Main | I had a bad day... »

April 27, 2006

I like quotes

Resurrection Blues Study Guide (online) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

In any study guide I have ever had, I have always enjoyed researching the quotes and learning more about them. In highschool, my teachers would test on the major quotes and I think this is why I tend to enjoy the quote section of a study guide more so than the other parts.

I am a sucker for quotes and I love looking into them. I will try to make them into something they aren't or just look deeply into them.

"Our dignity is modernization! Tell him he is going to die for all of us! (Felix, Scene 1)"

I disagree with this quote. While reading this book, I made several remarks, both on paper and in my head, about the modernization vs. love and spiritual relationships. Throughout the play, Felix keeps mentioning things such as modernization and money. But what he doesn't take time to look at, even at the end, is what REALLY matters in today's society. I'm not talking about just spiritual love, but rather love as a whole. People shouldn't care as much as they do about modernization and should instead focus on themselves and striving to be a better person. Modernizing a country won't make bonds tighter between people. Love, however, will. I felt as if Felix was the antagonist in the play although he never really did anything wrong. I also felt that Charley was the protagonist because he did change everyone at the end of the play. This was a different type of protagonist because Charley didn't seem to be the protagonist at the beginning because he was put behind bars. ...Good quote!

Posted by ElyseBranam at April 27, 2006 12:49 AM