« Curious Incident | Main | H-Y-P-H-E-N -dash- »

April 04, 2006

Second Part

Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 2 -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

"People believe in God because the world is very complicated and they think it is very unlikely that anything as complicated as a flying squirrel or the human eye or a brain could happen by chance. But they should think logically and if they thought logically they would see that they can only ask this question because it has already happened and they exist. And there are billions of planets where there is no life, ut there is no one on those planets with brains to notice. And it is like if everyone in the world was tossing coins eventually someone would get 5,698 heads in a row and they would think they were very special. But they wouldn't be ebcause there we be millions of poeple who didn't get 5,698 heads."

*Can I first start out by stating the obvious- the kid doesn't know how to use commas and it is driving me crazy! I keep running into the next thought and then I have to reread the sentence over again because I got a little confused. Maybe he should attend Jerz's grammar class. Then he'd get straightened out!

**This autistic boy is such a critical thinker. I don't think he can even think of anything outside the box of his little world. He can't imagine something that he can't see and therefore, doesn't believe in a religion because he can not seem to grasp the fact that just because something isn't visible to the naked eye, it doesn't mean it's not there.

***I thought the endingc came to soon. The ending of the book really was when Haddon announced that Christopher's dad killed the dog. After that statement, I think that alot of the readers whom I have talked to quit reading the book or became less interested in the book.

Do you think this book is literature? (even though it seems like an elementary read...?)

Posted by ElyseBranam at April 4, 2006 12:38 AM

You could make the argument that one thing this book does is point out how incomplete a life is that depends solely on logic.

Yes, the story does go on for a bit after the "mystery" is over. Why do you think Haddon chose to continue the story? What was he trying to accomplish? We can discuss in class whether you feel he achieved his goal in making the kind of ending he did supply.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 4, 2006 12:54 AM

I do think that this book is literature because it allows for you to critically analyze it and allows for you to stop and think about what is going on.
I think that Christopher is just limited to a lot of ideas and logic because of his disease. I dont think he realizes that he doesnt understand why he doesnt get religion, it just happens that way because of his autism.
I think that a lot of those people who stopped reading the book after they found out his dad killed the dog missed a lot more then they thought they would. I think that whom ever did that should go back and read the ending of the book. They might get another sense of the book then.

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at April 4, 2006 12:18 PM

People needed to continue to read the book after the mystery of who killed Wellington was revealed because that wasn't all of what the book was about. The main point of the book through my eyes was all about Christopher and how his life was due to autism. And we get several examples throughout the book that show us exactly how Christopher acted. The book simply was not about the dead dog. So maybe people stopped reading the book because they weren't concerned and the werent interested in learning about somebody that was possible new and different than them.

Posted by: brittney aller at April 4, 2006 01:39 PM

I realize that the book is entitled, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time." I also realize that the big thing for Christopher is to find out who killed Wellington. As you said Elyse, you feel that the ending comes to soon. I politely disagree however. Once Christopher finds out who killed Wellington, I feel that the journey is just beginning. Yes, Christopher figured out the mystery and was a detective, but if we take a step back and look at the big picture, Haddon really was taking the attention off of the fact that a young autistic boy, traveled through big cities, by himself and found his mom. To me, finding his mother in a huge world of adults takes more detective skills than figuring out who killed a dog. I think Haddon does this on purpose.

As regards to literature, I agree with Dena. If you use the example that I just talked about, you wouldn't get that by just reading it one summer on your own. You would only understand that and the complexity that Haddon uses by analyzing it and pushing yourself past your limits and into the world of Christopher John Francis Boone.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at April 4, 2006 03:34 PM

If the book were posing itself as a full-fledged mystery, then the solution to the dog's murder would have been revealed at the end. But instead, the dog's death is merely a starting point... the key event that makes Christopher's day like any other day and really kicks his life into high gear.

I was surprised that the murder was revealed so early on... but I didn't mind it. The book shifted and turned into a quest for Chris's mother. But I agree with you that the ending to the book was a little too generic and sugar-coated for my tastes.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at April 4, 2006 08:51 PM