« H-Y-P-H-E-N -dash- | Main | 21 and 26 »

April 12, 2006

The Diamond Age I

Stephenson, Diamond Age 1 (rescheduled from 14 Apr) -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

Where does one even begin when wanting to blog about this book? I was absolutely amazed when I read this book; chapter after chapter; page after page. I have never seen anything like it before. I was in shock because this sounds like what the future will be like.
--->"On a previous visit to the mod parlor, two years ago, he (Bud) had paid to have a bunch of 'sites implanted in his muscles--little critters, too small to see or feel, that twitched Bud's muscle fibers electrically according to a program that was supposed to maximize bulk. Combined with the testosertone pump embedded in his forearm, it was like working out in a gym night and day, except you didn't have to actually doa nything and never got sweaty."
---> "As Bud took it from the banker's hand, the blank page generated a nice animated color logo and music. The logo developed into a peacock. Beneath it, a video presentation commenced, hosted by a similar-looking gent -- sort of Indian looking but sort of Arab too."

I was also shocked to see the F bomb being dropped so many times. Obviously, this is definately a college read, however I wasn't expecting to read profanity in every other paragraph. I'm not complaining, I just wasn't prepared.
--->"Harv was presumed by both Bud and Tequila to be Bud's son. He was five, which meant that he had been conceived in a much earlier cycle of Bud and Tequila's break-up-and-make-up relationship. Now the bitch was pregnant again, whcih meant that Bud would have to bring even more gifts to her place when he came around. The pressures of fatherhood."

I was a little confused about the many different stories that were being placed throughout the book just randomly. I know that it will all tie together; however, it is confusing right now. There are a lot of characters and a lot of different story lines...

Posted by ElyseBranam at April 12, 2006 01:23 AM

Yes, this book isn't for high school classrooms.

The different narrative threads will start to come together more tightly in the middle third of the book.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 12, 2006 08:18 AM

I found the profanity quite excessive too. Bud and Tequila should've produced a Jack Daniels or something, that was kind of cutesy. I'm interested in seeing how much their sort of class system effects them as this book goes on. I also want to see Nell as sort of hero, since she is on a quest. What do you think about her?

Posted by: Erin Waite at April 12, 2006 11:04 AM

While I don't have a problem with profanity in literature, I found it interesting that most of it was coming from the narrator himself. There is a sort of casual attitude that the narrator takes throughout the story, which really draws me in.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at April 12, 2006 11:36 AM