« I had a bad day... | Main | Blogging Portfolio 2 »

May 02, 2006

a DOS of Elyse Marie's Blogging Portfolio

As I end this semester, I feel I did a complete turn around from when I started out as a freshman in Professor Dennis Jerz's Newswriting class. While majoring in English literature, I realized that this task would not be an easy one to accomplish, but with hard work and determination, I would be able to strive for success. This is my final portfolio for Prof. Jerz for his English Literature class at Seton Hill University. I must say, his class was not only challenging, but I wanted to rip my hair out at some points during the semester. Looking back on my education in his class, I realize, it was all worth it. He has made his students tougher and more able to reach any challenge their future professors may lay on them. With children and a wife at home, I can assure you that he would rather be playing with his children or spending quality time with his wife; however, he has put a great deal of time into this class and he deserves the very best in the future.

The entries you are about to read are all the topics we discussed in Prof. Jerz's EL 150 class on MWF at ten o'clock in the morning. The blogs are posted to the public and the following areas will be discussed in my portfolio:

Elyse Marie's Collection:
My first coverage/depth blog is called "Claim, Data, Warrant." T In this blog, I created a thesis (a claim, data, and warrant) for the study guide for Antony and Cleopatra called, "All Joy O' The Worm' Or, Death By Asp or Asps Unknown In Act V Of Antony and Cleopatra."

My second coverage/depth blog talks about Cleopatra and the sexuality she brings to the play "Antony and Cleopatra." I talk about how Cleopatra uses trickery and her good looks to make men fall in love...or lust, rather...with her.

My third coverage/depth blog discusses a book we read in class called "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." This book was quite interesting. I discussed two different sentences in my blog along with the "tractable apostrophe."

My fourth coverage/depth entry again discusses the "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" book. I discuss how I am a stupid person and crazy for commas!!

My fifth coverage/depth blog again talks about the "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" book. In this entry, I talk about my pen-pal and relate it to the thirty pages we had to read for class, which held a lot of information for only having read thirty pages.

In my sixth coverage/depth entry, I talked about the book "Curious Incident of the dog in the Night Time." This book was such an amazing book and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. It is written by Mark Haddon, an excellent writer, in my opinion. Anyway, my entry is describes autistic symptoms and talks about my most favorite part of the book.

In my seventh coverage/depth entry, I give a quote to the readers and discuss it. Note that I love quotes and trying to figure out if there is a secret meaning...

In my eighth coverage/depth entry, I discuss how the hyphen and dash work. Prior to reading the chapter in Truss' book, I didn't know there was a difference between the hyphen and dash. However, I understand now. Take a look!

In my ninth coverage/depth entry, I talk about a five hundred page book we read within a week..."The Diamond Age." The book was really good and in my blog, I talked about how well the book was written and how the author really thought this book out. Everything seemed to fit together perfectly.

My tenth coverage/depth entry deals again with "The Diamond Age". I talk about how well the book is coming together and discuss some of the alarming things that I found in this section.

My eleventh coverage/depth entry talks about "The Diamond Age" once again. I discuss the third section we read for class and I show my excitement in reading my first five hundred-page book, ever! I talk about primers and the drums and drumming noises.

My twelth coverage/depth entry is probably my most favorite. I talk about one of my favorite books that we read in Prof. Jerz's class, "Resurrection Blues." I talk about what Charley means to the ordinary people and discuss the scene where Emily and Felix go out to dinner.

Elyse Marie's Other Entries:

In one of my blogging entries, I blogged in a poetic form. This blank verse was fun because we were allowed to think out of the box and also got to see how our professor blank versed in response.

In another one of my blogging entries, I asked a few questions about "symbols." My high school teacher discussed symbols to my class; However, I was never taught like I was in this class. Interesting...

In one of my blogging entries, I asked if the readers/classmates truly thought Antony and Cleopatra were in love. I had my opinions. Click to find out...

In one of my last blogging entries, I discussed Denamarie's blog and talked about who was the protagonist and antagonist in the play, "Antony and Cleopatra."

Elyse Marie's Blogged Class Papers:
In this entry, I discussed the claim, data, warrant assignment we were given in class. This claim, data, warrant was correct for the structure but I totally missed the point of what exactly we were supposed to talk about. I changed my thesis and had a better, more accomplished paper in the end.

Elyse Marie's Xenoblogging:
::Comment Informative:: In this comment, I simply stated that I learned a great deal of information from Denamarie's blog, along with Andy's. I informed them of their job well done for explaining something to someone who didn't understand it.

::Comment Primo:: I left a comment on Denamarie's blog about the book, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time." I disagreed with Denamarie. By playing the Devil's advocate, I was able to get a great conversation started. Go me ;)

::Comment Grande::I left a comment on Denamarie's blog about "The Diamond Age." I explained to her what I thought about the character, Nell.

::The Link Gracious:: Although this wasn't a response to someone else's blog, it was in a way. I had read my classmates blogs before writing my own blog and decided I wanted to write along the lines of what Mike Rubino had written in his blog. I therefore, created a link to his blog. It worked really well.

Elyse Marie's Wildcard Entry:
In my last blogging entry, I discussed some personal things. My friend just entered a hospital for anorexia and I was having a rough day. I didn't know how to express my feelings so I figured I would blog about them...

Posted by ElyseBranam at May 2, 2006 08:54 PM