« We the Media ch. 8-10 | Main | This Girl's got spunk »

We the Media ch. 11,12, epilogue

I thought it was bad when the Napster guys got shut down, meanwhile the year that I was born (1984), the "copyright cartel" didn't want people to have VCR's because it would allow people to watch movies at home instead of buying movie tickets. It is sad that people are getting into trouble because of reaping the benefits of technology that was paid for out of their own pockets to begin with (215). I also found it interesting that cookies are a "sweet name" for something that invades people's privacy. At the same time, I have to play devil's advocate and say that if people are blogging or posting opinions through their websites, then they are asking for attention, even if it's the kind they don't want. Chapter 12 explained that copyrighting is a good and bad thing and Gillmor shows he's a balanced journalist in his opinions of it. He also explains the beauty of having a voice and that everyone really is a journalist. If we want changes, we have to make our own and Gillmor's tips are quite helpful. I also liked the personal touch he added in the epilogue in which he thanked so many people just for blogging or emailing him their opinions and suggestions. He has demonstrated that technology is not just a luxury, but a tool that should be used to get real discussions going.

Posted by ErinWaite at November 20, 2005 10:49 PM

It's sad that anything that is originally intended for "good" can be manipulated into something "bad." You make a good point when you mention the attention one receives when blogging. I guess everyone should keep in mind that once something is posted for the whole world to see, they must be prepared for the consequences.

Posted by: Katie Lambert at November 28, 2005 02:23 PM