« I Heart You | Main | Blank Verse Entry »

March 14, 2006

Americans can't even speak proper English, so why should we expect foreigners to?

Oh, my! This chapter reminded me of how anal English majors need to become. I actually started proofreading my blogs and realize that although I'm absolutely incoherent as far as my spelling and grammar go, everyone else makes the same mistakes and seems to be able to understand my points anyway. I loved the fact that she attacked a very boring topic in a way that made me want to keep reading. After reading Kevin's blog, I can actually picture the USPP in bright orange vests and whistles barreling into SHU and beating us with their clubs for making the terrible mistakes we do. Sadly, I think it might be the only thing that would work. We have the kind of people who wear shirts that say "Welcome to America, speak English" who think they're clever. What we really need in this country is a policy where idiots shouldn't be put in positions of authority. I'll get off of my soap box and just say that this was quite refreshing and I "look forwerd 2 corecting my punt'ation n grammer 'stakes."

Posted by ErinWaite at March 14, 2006 11:12 AM

Erin, I've enjoyed reading these entries.

When you want people to read your blogs, the URL you should post should look like this

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/ErinWaite/2006/03/americans_cant.html

If the URL has "mt.cgi" in it, then it's a link to the editing screen. People won't be able to follow that link unless they have your ID and password (and you don't want to give that out.)

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at March 14, 2006 12:10 PM

Erin,

Notice that Truss is from the UK. Bad grammar in the British Isles? I was shocked. The cradle of the English language is eroding, so imagine how the grammar is here! Listen to the "English" in different parts of the country. In some ways, it distinguishes character. But in others it makes us look uneducated. Where is the USPP when you need them?

Posted by: Kevin "Kelo The Great" Hinton at March 14, 2006 06:32 PM

I still say we need the orange vests and whistles, Kevin.

Posted by: Erin Waite at March 19, 2006 10:49 PM