« Give it to me straight | Main | Fiskers beware? »

Ride that hobbyhorse!

"Express a few pet peeves. Indulge your hobbyhorses. You'll make a more dramatic impression and therefore do a better job of reporting." (375)

I like this because it allows you to be creative and have your own opinions instead of looking like some constipated news anchor. This chapter sticks with the pyramid and encourages getting to the point with good hooks. Use quotes and give your audience clues in bias. I think this is great to because I like interviews and it captures the essence a little more. This ch. also reminds you to make the audience feel like your partners.

Ch. 15 on webzines was great because while it encourages you to stay within limits it allows you to get even more personal. Hale said to go for the "...gonzo, the rough-edged, the over-the-top." (406)

Ch. 16 "New opening, new resume." (423)
Yep. I definitely use the same old resume and that's bad news. This emphasized the importance of being tailored for the company. This reminds me of a previous Jerz class when we learned how to write resumes and Hot Text took it up a notch. I'm just happy I remember this stuff.

Posted by ErinWaite at October 10, 2006 01:18 PM

I absolutely agree...People can only relate to those with real interests, not, as you put it, 'constipated news anchors'...haha You have to give a little to get a reaction from viewers.

Posted by: Katie at October 10, 2006 07:33 PM

Erin, I agree with "expressing a few pet peeves." It's more entertaining to watch charasmatic news reporter with a personality. No one wants to watch someone read from the paper in front of them without emotion. You want to indulge your audience and not send them out of the room with bordoma and disgust.

Posted by: Tiffany Gilbert at October 10, 2006 08:29 PM

As employable as I may be (and probably am, by this point), my resume is bleeding. I'm really happy that chapter 16 went into so much detail about resumes... even though I'll probably not put mine online directly. Portfolio, yes; resume, no.

Posted by: Karissa at October 10, 2006 10:26 PM

Bringing out the human element (showing your quirks) is great...it again connects the reader & writer. This also ties into Tiffany's blog about Chapter 14 and using quotations--just one more way of promoting a two-way conversation.

I think that this is one of the best things the internet has to offer, and it is one of the reasons it has been so successful.

Posted by: Cherie at October 11, 2006 09:53 AM

Thanks for the comments:) Karissa, I might be visiting the writing center for help with my portfolio and resume, because I need all the help I can get. Katie,are there any news anchors that are enjoyable, besides John Stewart (I know that's terrible and doesn't count)? Tiffany, I love when people get pissed off on news shows because some of the best discussions get started. Cherie,look at what we're having now:A good discussion. I may hate the Net for anything other than school-related issues, but communication is great.

Posted by: Erin at October 12, 2006 01:41 PM