« IF expansion | Main | Corning: a new definition for an old Halloween activity »

December 03, 2006

Linkin' richly: The Progess Report

We are coming to a grinding halt here, folks! While this year has been a series of hospital trips and all-nighters, I still managed to hav fun and actually learn something. I even blogged for fun and did a pretty decent portfolio that shows I managed to stay current and link properly despite the chaos. As for my experiences with Wikipedia, I am still learning, but had fun putting in my random thoughts during my first try at contributing and gave my comments on it's reliability. I had never stepped into the wonderful world of IF either, but had some valuable experiences. I'd rather curl up with coffee and a book. Creating my own game was probably my least favorite part of the year, but with a little help from the lovely Lori I managed to scrounge something up and was actually able to play it. I really got into some great discussions with Cherie, href="blogs.setonhill.edu/KarissaKilgore">Karissa, and Rachel this year because we all found ways to help eachother and they are great to bounce ideas off of. I learned alot about linking, how to build my first website, and most of all how to get my point acrossed in an effecient manner. I had fun creating my website and developed it from checking out my own movie collection and looking at some cool sites tha featured them. Since I am not so good with the technical stuff and IF, I put alot of time and thought into my blog entries and focused the most on brushing up on my writing skills. As of now, I've started to research corning and only found stuff about states, so I'm continuing my creation of an entry about that because bipolar disorder is very common now and there's a lot of info on it. I found that people from other states and areas don't necessarily know what corning is. It's similar to egging, except less harmful. During the Halloween season, you fill a bag or in my 'hood,a tube sock with corn kernels and you wait till dark. You throw corn at your neighbor's houses and it's extra fun to do it to people you dislike. Than, you run away so as not to get chased by the crazy neighbors. It's great exercise, it costs very little, and it's a fun way to spend time as a kid feeling like bad-ass without really commiting a serious crime. I've begun a more extensive version of that and I look forward to making it wikiipedia-ready or putting into a website if I keep having trouble on Wiki. Overall, I've learned alot and hope I'm a better writer as a result.

Posted by ErinWaite at December 3, 2006 07:01 PM

That is some great linking.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at December 4, 2006 11:26 AM

Erin, I had a great time pairing up with you for that first IF experience. :) We rocked the "Big Mama," haha! If I may be so bold to say, I think you've grown a lot in this class... I remember in the beginnings of the course you said something about not liking computers, etc. and I was worried for you because of the nature of the class, but look what you've been able to do! :) Rock on, Erin.

Posted by: Karissa at December 4, 2006 11:26 AM

Erin, your entry is spectacular! Linking back to older projects and websites shows your improvement. You and Katie had the similar idea of doing so. It shows you've come a long way. I can tell you've learned alot even if you don't think so. I can't wait to see how you define "corning" on Wikipedia. We'll see if I had the same technique as other kids....haha :)
Great improvement!

Posted by: Tiffany Gilbert at December 4, 2006 11:27 AM

I'm going to miss this class too, especially all of our crazy discussions! :( Overall, it was kind of a fun class to take and I will miss all of the people in it. Your idea for project 3 sounds interesting, and I don't think anything has ever been written about 'corning'.

Posted by: Katie at December 4, 2006 11:29 AM

Make sure your links work, your links were awesome.Keep up the good blogging.

Posted by: Jeremy Barrick at December 4, 2006 11:34 AM

"Grinding Halt" is right!

Even when you weren't 'blogging for fun' I still enjoyed reading your entries...they were usually humorous, but informative...and they were honest--I always heard the purity and authenticity of your voice!

I can't believe you found a Wiki entry that didn't already exist...I think writing about *corning* is a great idea. (Maybe there's a reason that this term is only regional...maybe something to do with our local agriculture-?)

Posted by: Cherie at December 4, 2006 11:54 AM

Your definltey the only person in the class I could relate with "experience" wise with this stuff. The more we're mastered though, the more I think we could do better in a class like EL 405. As for the IF games and HTML, we just gained more skills to use later on right? I mean, You always gotta be the person to comment on my blog. lol

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at December 13, 2006 04:06 PM