« Corning: a new definition for an old Halloween activity | Main | Eagleton "What is Literature?" »

January 29, 2007

Criticism: Now in little boxes for your viewing pleasure

"Because criticism usually involves the interpretation of a particular literary work, it is logical that the work in question should hold the central place in the diagram." (3)

I found it kind of humorous that the way we label a work can also be "labeled" in a cute little diagram. "Look mom, I'm already a critic calling diagrams cute (not a very good one, though)."
I tend to argue with myself, so for me, understanding the types of criticism and whom they relate to was very helpful. When it comes to memorizing laundry lists of text in terms I can't interpret, it's very helpful. Like Valerie said in her blog, I sometimes just want to watch old-school Sesame Street without worrying about why Ernie and Bert are in the tub together. I find it impossible to really harness all of the methods into one area. Heck, I can't even remember if I'm wearing socks half of the time, so how am I going to remember my perspectives? I'm a little overwhelmed, but I do enjoy reading what makes me change and I want to hold onto that. I am looking forward to stretching the way I analyze things, though. Everyone tends to have stronger and weaker reactions to literature based on how they've read them before, so this class will help us to understand the various means of looking at something before making a judgement.

Posted by ErinWaite at January 29, 2007 9:31 AM

LOL, remembering that you're wearing socks... Oh, Erin, what are we going to do with you...

I know where you're coming from with not wanting to be overwhelmed with all this reading for meaning stuff. Just think of it as deeper than you've gone before. Put on that scuba suit. :)

And since all we Englishy people claim to be so analytical, this really shouldn't be too tough, right?

Posted by: Karissa at January 29, 2007 1:49 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement...I'll get there ;)

Posted by: Erin at January 30, 2007 5:27 PM

No Karissa, YOU claimed to be analytical. I never claimed any such thing. And poor sockless Erin here needs more than your scuba suit assurance.

Oh, just kidding! ;-)

But seriously Erin, I understand COMPLETELY what you mean, because I'm finding this whole concept of literary criticism really difficult. Not lying--I've never felt like such a slow kid in my existence these past couple days. I don't understand how some of my peers are pulling out these amazing analytical pieces that I just don't see at all and don't understand enough to even leave a comment.

We'll get through this. Those who have seemed to catch on early are pretty cool people who will help anyone who asks.

Posted by: Valerie at February 1, 2007 1:08 AM

I'm with you Val, I'm amazed by how well everyone seems to understand what to say - I guess its all just part of the blog-facade.

Posted by: Diana Geleskie at February 1, 2007 5:12 PM