« Ch. 3 Keesey comes knockin' again | Main | O'Connell gets sentimental »

Iser gonna roll...or not.

ďThe actual context of these mental images will be colored by the readerís existing stock of experience, which acts as a referential background against which the unfamiliar can be conceived and processed (147).í
At first I was a bit befuddled, but Iser rescued me a little by providing some of Fishís handy steps for being an informed reader (Iím a fan of quotes and steps, anything that harnesses my short attention span) and he to number throughout. He did a decent job explaining the readerís relation to text and made me see that we all have different life experiences and even when we try to be objective, some pre-conceived notion we already have is going to pop up like an unwanted pimple. We can use this to our advantage if we explore how the text follows a process of bringing us to our own realities. To put it another way, we can see how the author works with the text to make it relevant to us.

Posted by ErinWaite at February 15, 2007 5:47 PM

"...some pre-conceived notion we already have is going to pop up like an unwanted pimple."

First - HA! That's good!

Second, I am with you on that thought train. We can never tell when it is going to rear it's ugly head, but our previous lives and our past experiences are what shape us. It is this shaping that makes it possible for us to discuss a work amongst ourselves because if we all had that same beliefs then classes and life in general would be a pretty boring.

Posted by: Tiffany at February 20, 2007 5:05 PM