« Take it like a man: Brann's icons | Main | Word up: Icon »

Punkin' out

"Defining themselves as prisoners of their own gender, for instance, women frequently create characters who attempt to escape if only into nothingness." (260)

This at first made me angry, so I just rolled with it. I think that if women are trying to escape a stereotype or some crappy life situation, instead of punking out and dying or puking up their salad, they should take a real stand. If you don't want to be imprisoned, bust out in a way that you'll still be around to enjoy the results (divorce the man, work out, go to rehab). No wonder some men percieve women as self-absorbed or wimpy. Then a voice in my head reminded me that in a time when women were trapped, they couldn't just go to divorce court or therapy and I have to accept that. Okay, I'm punking out now and leavin' this one to good old historical criticism.

Posted by ErinWaite at February 28, 2007 2:21 PM

I agree with you that sometimes women can go a bit over the top. There is something to saying that this story needs to be left for historicism. Actually I think that whenever we bring up this story we tend to lean toward an historic point of view instead of trying to apply the criticism that we are working on. Oh well. I think that somethings just lend themselves to a certain crticism.

Posted by: Tiffany at February 28, 2007 7:55 PM

It's hard to apply mimetic criticism because our version of reality may be very different then the author's.

Posted by: Erin at March 1, 2007 10:03 AM