« Word Up: Semiotics | Main | Peek-a-Boo-Eyes Can See You »

March 21, 2007

Blade Runner: Peek-a-boo, Eyes Can See You

Scott, dir. Blade Runner (Director's Cut) -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)

I read Freud first thankfully, since the Pale Fire experience, I learned my lesson. I thought it related perfectly to Blade Runner's plot full of eyes, replicants, and Asians. Just how uncanny can you get? Lets see:
The Voight-Kamph test with the eyes was very Freudian indeed. The memory implant concept also made me realize the importance of the replicants having them so they could appear emotional and what I find so funny about it is that Dr. Tyrell thought emotions make people easier to control. I feel that emotions make people even harder to control. Look at the (oh no, repetiton, Freud fans) repression in The Yellow Wallpaper, she went nuts. People see therapists nowadays if they see a kitty commercial and feel sad, so of course emotions make us even more out-of-control. On the other hand, emotions make us vulnerable to other people and can easily make us easier to control because people can use our emotions to their advantage. It's a tough call, what do you think?

Posted by ErinWaite at March 21, 2007 5:47 PM

You brought up multiple good points on the importance of eyes and mental thoughts that were mentioned by Sigmund Freud. I truly believe that the influence of The Uncanny to the movie Blade Runner was very beneficial toward the writing of the exercise. Not only were there references to unicorns and asians, but there were multiple references to the phallic symbol, including the candle, the toy's nose, the unicorn's head, the stick figure with a penis, and many many more. I didn't know if you noticed all of them, but to me the references to the phallus is not overdone, but is done a lot throughout the entire movie. I wrote more on why in my weblog if you would like to check it out.

Posted by: Jason Pugh at March 22, 2007 9:46 AM

Thanks, Jason. David was all worried there wouldn't be any phallic symbols because he said on his blog that that is all he knew about Freud before reading and watching the movie. I didn't even think about the phallic symbols. As usual you enlighten me :) I'm headed to your blog now!

Posted by: Erin at March 22, 2007 10:11 AM