« Lay on the couch and tell me how you feel, Captain Happy. | Main | Word up: Simulacra »

March 28, 2007

Do fries come with this burger or just a birds and the bees talk?

Berger, Postmortem for a Postmodernist -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)
While Berger's writing was very sexually charged, I got a laugh out of the basic humanity he was trying to portray by allowing the characters to discuss their sex lives so openly. Each character seemed to just go off on their own little tyrades and theories about who was right and wrong, but as I read more about the history of postmodernism, I realize that as critics we are those little voices. We each have our own way of looking at the text and interpreting it. To be completely postmodern, I guess you have to be completely open to everyone's interpretation whether you believe in it or not

Posted by ErinWaite at March 28, 2007 2:23 PM

Haha I, like you, were a little suprised at the sexually charged novel. Who knew lit critics talked about that?! I thought they were too busy discussing the merits of poststructuralism vs formalism.

How much did you really gain about postmodernism, though? I like how Berger tried to talk about a form of literary criticism in a novel (although it was a little nerdy), but I found myself noticing the story itself and not the actual point of the postmodernist ideas. It just seemed too thrown together- characters here, characters there, different ideas, large infomation sections- to really grasp postmodernism.

Posted by: Nessa at March 28, 2007 11:34 PM

Right-o, my friend! Since we didn't get alot out of this book, all the more we'll have to b.s. about it in class, but at least maybe we'll come up with some ways of figuring out what we were supposed to learn.

Posted by: Erin at March 29, 2007 12:16 PM