« Oops, I've "ruptured" my Levi's | Main | Do fries come with this burger or just a birds and the bees talk? »

March 28, 2007

Lay on the couch and tell me how you feel, Captain Happy.

Wright, ''The New Psychoanalysis and Literary Criticism'' -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)
"...Linguistically oriented psychoanalytic criticism can analyze structures in a meaningful, or should I say meaningless way, whether or not the implied ideology of the method is accepted." (399)
This seems to say that it's good to psychoanalyze the structure of the writing and the language a little so that we can put the writers on a more human level and get more meaning out of the writing instead of just focusing on one aspect. I can see the example of Captain Happy watching the nursing mother as a good example on Wright's part because we can analyze his motives and the characters easier. What I don't know is when is it and is it not appropriate to psychoanalyze text?

Posted by ErinWaite at March 28, 2007 2:03 PM

LOL! I love that we all call him Cap'n Happy. Nice.

And again, Erin, I love that we were on the same wavelength about the focusing when we read--Wright really tries to get readers to look outside of what they normally see when they look at a text, and I can really appreciate that.

And I also agree that it's a tough call to know when and when not to analyze a text for psychoanalytical stuff...

Posted by: Karissa at March 29, 2007 2:51 PM

Thanks, K! I think that's how we form our best criticisms, by trying different ones until we find one that's just right.

Posted by: Erin at April 2, 2007 12:14 PM