« Blade Runner: Peek-a-boo, Eyes Can See You | Main | The Heimlich ain't just a manuever:The Presentation Blog »

March 21, 2007

Peek-a-Boo-Eyes Can See You

Scott, dir. Blade Runner (Director's Cut) -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism
read Freud first thankfully, since the Pale Fire experience, I learned my lesson. I thought it related perfectly to Blade Runner's plot full of eyes, replicants, and Asians. Just how uncanny can you get? Lets see:
The Voight-Kamph test with the eyes was very Freudian indeed. The memory implant concept also made me realize the importance of the replicants having them so they could appear emotional and what I find so funny about it is that Dr. Tyrell thought emotions make people easier to control. I feel that emotions make people even harder to control. Look at the (oh no, repetiton, Freud fans) repression in The Yellow Wallpaper, she went nuts. People see therapists nowadays if they see a kitty commercial and feel sad, so of course emotions make us even more out-of-control. On the other hand, emotions make us vulnerable to other people and can easily make us easier to control because people can use our emotions to their advantage. It's a tough call, what do you think?

Posted by ErinWaite at March 21, 2007 5:59 PM