« Where's my prize? | Main | It's all an allusion...or is it? »

April 23, 2007

Garson goes for the girly (-ies or the maidens)

Garson, 'Bodily Harm" Keats's Figures in the 'Ode on a Grecian Urn''' -- Jerz EL312 (Literary Criticism)
"A foster child , she is to be seen and not heard; a virginal bride, she is a metaphorical female body, complete, circular, intact." (457).
This seems to be more about rhetoric anf feminism then culture at first but I really enjoyed how Garson used the lines to suggest some type of "archaic sexual sense" within the poem. I wouldn't have thought about gang rape and the various parts of a woman, but at the same time, it is very steamy and for the time period that those on the urn lived, this would be rather brazen. I think that while she seems to jump on the tampon train with this one, I like the way she presented her argument and I think it relates to the time period on the urn rather than perh to Keat's own culture at the time. Do you agree or disagree?

Posted by ErinWaite at April 23, 2007 8:44 PM

I felt the same way- that this was an article about an urn and not about the poem. I mean, we can focus only so much on the historical background of something before it becomes a little saturated, I think.

Posted by: Nessa at April 23, 2007 9:54 PM

Until the two of you pointed it out, I never thought that this article focused more on the urn than on Keats' writing of the urn. Even so, I still think that there really is some reasoning behind cultural study of literature and would hope that this is the case for most people. I don't know why I take so well to this, but I do so I'm sticking with it.

Posted by: Tiffany at April 25, 2007 9:13 PM

How hard would Keats be laughing today if he knew of all the fuss that is made over his little urn, an object that could very well have been a complete figment of his imagination?

Posted by: Dave Moio at April 26, 2007 2:27 PM

Oh he is probably laughing, but I think he would be laughing at some insides joke that all of us aren't getting about this poem.

Posted by: Tiffany at April 26, 2007 4:29 PM