Spring: A time for birds, bees, and... work?

"The idea [of the festivals] was to purge all the built-up bad feeling of winter from the populace... so that no negativity would attach to the growing season and thereby endanger the harvest" (Foster 182-183).  My first reaction when I read this passage was... the greeks worked in spring?!  I mean, it would have make sense to grow the crops in springtime because they needed food for the harvest time, but this did not make sense in the modern world.  These days, people view spring as only a season of rebrith, and not a time of back-breaking labor.

Click here

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Spring: A time for birds, bees, and... work?.

I'm not a farmer by any means but my dad has a garden at home and he does all of his planting during the spring. I look at him when he comes in from "playing in the dirt," as my mother and I so affectionately call it, and he is completely exhausted. He has beads of sweat on his forhead and most likely, if he is wearing a shirt at all, his shirt is drenched. I could see how the Greeks could see the spring as a time for hard work.