Same Problem, New Century.

"They glorify crime" (Mallioux 44)

I've heard this quote before, but instead parents are referring to video games. I grew up playing video games but those were different. Now games are incredibly violent and the graphic images are getting seared into young impressionable minds. I don't agree with banning books or video games, its free speech. However, I get why parents in the 1800's were worried about novels packed with characters who defy the law. I see the parallel between those novels and all the movies, games, and T.V shows present today. I think as long as there is a curiosity for taboo subjects such as crime and violence, there will always be and audience and angry parents.

While society has become more tolerant of many things, here is a news item from 2006:

Turner Broadcasting is scouring more than 1,500 classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, including old favorites Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, and Scooby-Doo, to edit out scenes that glamorize smoking. http://www.tv.com/story/5948.html

I'm not a smoker, but I have noticed how in the past few decades smoking has been demonized by some parts of society -- thus making it seem all the more attractive to some groups of teens.

Gladys Mares said:

Thats really interesting Dr. Jerz. I think that goes along with Clemens' response, that the bad publicity increased his sales. People are always secretly intrigued by what others might deem as bad or like I mentioned, taboo. Especially for kids and teens. If mom and dad think its bad, it becomes more appealing. This goes for all the new ideas and experiences kids and teens begin to encounter as they grow up.