The Ghost of Economic Hardships

"Merry Christmas! What right have you to be merry? What reason have you to be merry? You're poor enough."

"Come, then," returned the nephew gaily. "What right have you to be dismal? What reason have you to be morose? You're rich enough."

This story so far seems like a giant ghost for readers of the time to remind them of the big gaps in class levels. Neither Scrooge or his nephew can understand each other because of the differences in their economic levels. Scrooge is insensitive to his nephew and easily can be transformed into a charitable person. This novel seems like a metaphor for readers of the time who were unaware of other's hardships. So far it seems like a billboard that reads "HEY PEOPLE OF THE 1800'S, SOME PEOPLE ARE POOR.... DO SOMETHING!"

Class Site

That's what I think Dickens was essentially trying to say. It makes more sense the way you worded it. When I blogged, I just kept thinking that Scrooge was portrayed in a way that he only did good for society in the end because he wanted to save himself, making it a selfish motive. However, maybe Dickens was trying to say it doesn't matter if a person benefits society for selfish reasons, as long as some benefit is coming out of it. Scrooge was still improving the lives of the poor even if he primarily doing it for himself. I'm going to link to you in my blog.

Sorry, I should have given a link. I included it in my blog on staves 4-5.

Gladys Mares said:

I didn't even think about Scrooge's motives... lol But I get where your coming from. I think maybe Dickens' message is supposed to more about the society instead of making his story about one character's transformation. Maybe Scrooge is a substitute for society's conscience? I haven't read the last couple staves so I'll have to wait and find out :-)

Jessica Orlowski said:

Now that you say that, Gladys, it totally makes sense. Scrooge stands for society as a whole (the worst of society). When I blogged, I kind of incorporated religious aspects. Obviously, Scrooge is afraid to "take a leap of faith" out of the window. This leap involves beginning his journey to kindness. I think that the first ghost is symbolic of Jesus. Here's my blog:

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/JessicaOrlowski/2009/11/ghosts_among_us.html

Carissa Altizer said:

I wonder where Scrooge would have stood before and after his ghost experiences on the current public health care option debate? How would the story change if Tiny Tim had health care?

Kayla Lesko said:

It seems that most adaptions of the story leave out the economic message and instead focus on Scrooge himself, which I don't mind but it undermines Dickens intent for the story.