Woahhhhh Easy, Browning!

"Three times her little throat around,
And strangled her. No pain felt she;"

Okay this poem was so incredibly dramatic! I was thrown off half way through when he... oh yeah KILLS HER! At first I thought this was going to be a romantic poem and it turned out to be a really creepy and morbid one. I was weirded out by the fact that after he strangles her, he decided to play with her dead corpse. I've read other poems by Browning and this one was way out of left field.

Class Site

Thank you. I got mega-creepy vibes while reading this poem too. It really was tooooo much when he started playing with her body after he killed her. In my blog, I questioned whether this might be a case of necrophilia: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/JessicaKrehlik/2009/11/i_love_you_so_much_i_just_had.html

I'm definitely with you on this one though. I felt like I was reading a twisted version of Poe's Annabel Lee or something. Only, I'm not sure even Poe would go this far...

Gladys Mares said:

I agree. I read your blog and I thought about the whole necrophilia aspect and the line where he says "Blushed bright beneath my burning kiss" doesn't help disprove the idea. I think he might be trying to make a point about something else through the use of this woman but I agree, he took it a bit too far.