Portfolio 3: Do You Believe in Magic?

Sigmund Freud, the famed psychologist, recognized the power of words: 

“Words have a magical power. They can bring either the greatest happiness or deepest despair; they can transfer knowledge from teacher to student; words enable the orator to sway his audience and dictate its decisions. Words are capable of arousing the strongest emotions and prompting all men's actions.”

Few people will deny the magical sway that word can have.  In EL 150: Introduction to Literary Study, I have tried to better understand and control this power innate in language.  Reading Sharon Hamilton’s Essential Literary Terms has provided me with a better understanding of the tools I have with which to manipulate words, such as alliteration, syntax, and onomatopoeia.  Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game (besides being a very good book) showed me the writing strategy of a master author to show with words, and not tell.  Learning about suffixes, roots, and prefixes gave me a better understanding of the mechanics behind language.  Blogging helped me to discover the university mind-set and reflect on my own thoughts and on my classmates'.  There is more to literature then just reading a book and saying “what a good book!”  Writing blog entries and picking a specific quote showed me that.  Thinking about what one has read and the strategies the author used in writing opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  Getting blogs in on time was sometimes very difficult and stressful, but getting my ideas out there in a written form where my classmates can review them has really helped me to think critically and see that there is so much more to literature than I previously thought.  I don’t think I will ever be able to read a book the same way again.  I hope to take what I have learned about words and literature and “transfer knowledge from teacher to student” in the future; however, I will not be the student, but the teacher.     

Coverage: These are examples of entries in which I included a quote from the assigned reading and linked my blog back to the course webpage.

·         Sometimes We Just Need to Read a Good Children’s Book

·         It’s not a matter of unpleasantries, it’s more a matter of false assumptions

·         Only the Good Can Be Manipulated

·         Redefining Onomatopoeia

Timeliness:  These are examples of blogs which were posted 24 hours before class or reflections which were posted before class.

·         Being in charge is risky business

·         The Suspense of Science Fiction

·         All About the Vulcan Logic

·         Welcoming in the New—a Good Idea, and Saying Goodbye to the Old—Fluff

Interaction: Some of my entries got the wheels turning in my classmates’ heads, check out our discussion.

·         Ok, Ok, I admit it, planning before writing is important!

·         Sometimes trying hard just screws you up! 

·         “Meaning-of-life Garbage”

Depth: These entries really demonstrate the magic of words.

·         Card’s Lesson on Blogging

·         I May Be Weak, But At Least I’m Not Peter

·         Shakespeare Should Learn How to Count!

·         Alliteration is very valuable, even Valentine uses it!

·         A Writer’s Toolbox Is Never Complete Without (syn)Tacks!

Discussion: The first step is reading and considering the text myself, the next is to get some second opinions.  Here are some discussions I participated in, which were sparked by a peer’s blog entry.

·         Jessie’s Ruthless Tone

·         Maddie’s It’s a kid eat kid space station—the worst school ever created

·         Angelica’s the end

·         Angelica’s Themes

·         Kaitlin’s Humor in Tragedy: It Does Exist

·         Angela’s In Good Company

·         Angela’s Clowns and Literature Don’t Mix

Other Entries and Reflections:  This is a mishmash of blogs you don’t want to miss!  Check out a couple of my other reflections, learn my created word (which will, no doubt, be popping up in dictionaries soon), watch a video on Yahoo, learn some slang, and read my poetry!

·         Just because it’s free (verse), does not mean it’s easy!

·         Write in your own style, don’t copy!

·         Was Emily Dickinson Hyperdemophobic?

·         A Man After Lynne Truss’ Heart

·         Searching for new words on urbandictionary.com, an interesting experience

·         Out My Window

·         For Your Reading Pleasure…I Hope