The Story is in the Details

First, I noticed that Cox used less quotes in general than Stockton did.  And, he had less quotes from a variety of people.  I do not mean to imply that he did not have multiple sources, he interviewed plenty of other people, but there were less than Stockton.  However, I think the quotes from others he chose to use were more selective than Stockton’s and therefore packed a stronger punch.

I think a lot of the power of this article came from the very descriptive, little details that Cox got and used.  For example, he tells us that Waters is “dressed in a shin-length charcoal dress and wrapped in a multi-colored scarf,” that she “sipped on a Blue Bottle Coffee lattee splashed with organic Straus Family cream,” and that she has “short, maple-colored hair.”  All of these are details that are easy to overlook and to consider trivial, but Cox capitalizes on every detail he can observe and collect to make Waters seem like a real person to his readers, but drawing a mental picture of how she physically looks and how she is as a person.

Also, similar to what Nicholson did in his obituary; Cox paints a realistic and honest picture of Waters.  He does not avoid writing about her faults.  He quotes an old chef who worked for waters and we see a new side of her as being extremely demanding and a perfectionist.  However, this does not make her look bad, but like a real person, like the rest of us who have faults.   It makes the interviewee seem more human and relatable. 

Read more on Cox’s article.   

I wrote my reflection on this entry, Greta. You can check it out if you'd like.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/AngelaPalumbo/2009/09/and_greta_said_let_there_be_li.html