A Growing Appreciation

In my previous portfolios for this class I discussed how I was overcoming my bad attitude about news writing and learning through experience how hard news writing actually is.  Both of these things are still true.  I still have bouts of bad attitude (although, I think they are becoming less frequent) and I learn a lot about the process of news writing every time I write an article (and therefore,  must interview, verify, and write).  However, I think my biggest change since my last portfolio relates less to my actual abilities as far as news writing goes and instead more to my daily life. 

I have found myself paying more attention to current events and the news as this class has progressed.  In the past, I have paid very little attention to the news.  If I stumbled across a headline on the Internet that I thought was intriguing, I would click on it and read it.  That was the extent of it; I would not actively seek or go to news sites looking for news.  However, while we were tracking the news cycle I began checking news websites daily for updates on my breaking news articles.  When we finished that, I found that I kept checking the web pages daily anyway. 

Furthermore, after writing my localized news article, I realized how in the dark I was to internet issues going on right now—legal issues which could affect everyone.  I become cognizant that there is a real benefit to knowing what is going on.  I also realized that it doesn’t take too much effort to go to a news organization’s website, skim over the headlines, and click on the links to the full articles of the ones that sound interesting/important. 

Not only have I started seeking out news more, I also have found myself understanding why the reporters write the way they do and remarking on how they word and write things.  Essentially, I am evolving into a more informed person not only about how news writing is done, but I find myself being more interested in the news.  This interest and understanding are things which can follow me even after this class is over and even if I never teach a high school journalism class.    

Coverage and Timeliness: I completed all assigned blogs and posted them all on or before the time that they were due.  I list here only the blogs which did not fall under another category. 

Depth: These are a few blogs that I put some extra thought into.

• Be Careful What You Wish In this blog, I made a connection between editorials (a new concept to me) and academic essays (something I have a lot of experience with).  Through this connection and consideration of the similarities of the structure and form of the two, I help myself to better understand the new idea of editorials and hopefully help my classmates to understand better as well.  I even made a chart to make the similarities even clearer. 
  • Journey from Blurry Vision to Clear Sight: Localized News Article In this very long and in depth blog, I go through and explain step by step everything I learned while writing my localized news article.  I think this blog is a very good example of the synthesizing, reflecting, and learning I have been doing in the class.   
  • Finally, Someone Admits Objectivity is Impossible! In this blog I consider Haiman’s explanation of the real objectivity of news writing, which exists not in the journalist being unbiased, but in following “a consistent method of testing information.”  I share my own frustrations with the use of the word “objectivity” and explain why I like what Haiman writes about it. 
  • Reevaluating the “Negative” News Bias  In this reflection on Derek’s blog, I reconsider the “negative news bias” in news writing and question whether this tendency is really the journalists' fault. 

Interaction: These are some of my classmates’ blogs that got me thinking and resulted in me commenting on them.

• On Matt’s Preaching to the Choir, I leave him a long comment explaining to him how his blog has increased my understanding about remaining unbiased. 
  • On Josie’s Fixing Our Mistakes Before They Happen, I politely disagree with her assertion that editors are not one of the most essential parts of making a paper excellent.  I leave her two comments, one is very long and the other refers her to my own blog for a more thorough explanation.  Dr. Jerz, Aja, Josie, and Angela also participate in the conversation.
  • On Angela’s You Don’t Have to Be Perfect, I start the discussion off with a long comment in which I agree with what Angela said in her blog and add my own two cents.  Then later I leave another comment addressing Aja’s comment and expanding yet more on the importance of publishing corrections.  Derek also was part of the discussion and Angela responded to our comments. 
  • On Angela’s “I Wish to Remain Anonymous”, I again start off the discussion with a long comment.  I point out to her that finding someone willing to have their name attached to a quote sometimes can be very difficult.  Wendy, Josie, and Jenn jump into the conversation and I leave another comment expanding on what they wrote.

Discussion: These are some of my blogs which sparked discussion.

• Be Careful What You Wish Derek, Matt, and Josie comment on my relation of editorials to an academic essay and the chart I made to visually represent it.  I answer them back with a lengthy comment.  Wendy joins in and Derek answers again.  Derek also wrote a reflection on this blog and I commented on his reflection. 
  • “Getting It Right” Josie, Angela, Aja, and even Dr. Jerz discuss my blog on Haiman’s suggestion that journalists read parts of their articles or quotes to the experts to make sure that they have the facts straight.  In response to their comments, I leave a very long comment addressing the issues they brought up. 
  • You Better Have an Explanation Derek, Kaitlin, Josie, and I discuss the idea of including a daily column in newspapers which would provide explanations to the readers for why the paper and the journalists do what they do. 

Xenoblogging:

The Comment Primo:

The Comment Grande:

The Link Gracias:

• Any reflection entry

Wildcard: I selected two wildcards.  The first blog below, I selected because of how representative it is of the progress I have been making (and also because of how much time I spent on it).  The second one I selected because it is an extra blog entry I wrote in which I applied the principles we are learning in news writing to a news article about Seton Hill. 

Reflections: These are blog entries I wrote before class.  They are based on my classmates’ blog entries.  I expand on what I have learned from their blogs and what I now understand better thanks to them.  If I use a reflection in another category, I do not include it here at well.

Previous Portfolios:

Return to the course webpage.

Derek Tickle said:

This portfolio, along with the other ones, show your hard work and dedication, Gretta! Great Work!!

Thanks, Derek!

Greta, you're such an overachiever! Good job.