Friends or Foes?

"Huck, by contrast, is equally rich, but he has apologized to Jim earlier in the novel.  And this is the point of Huck's final remark rejecting the prospect of civilization... it is to become like Tom Sawyer" (368).

Those from my group on Wednesday might recall my argument about Huck's morality and how he doesn't think Tom is more moral than he himself is... I think I agree with David Smith.  Huck sees Tom as the product of the society he does not want to become a part of.  This is why he is going to "light out for the Territory ahead of the rest" (320).  
I honestly did not even consider that Tom symbolized everything Huck didn't want to be, but it is interesting to view their relationship with that in mind.  
While Smith made many points on race - which I considered quoting many of them - I thought that this little mention of Tom and Huck and their relationship with society was worth noting.

Meagan Gemperlein said:

I agree with you. I didn't necessarily see Tom as everything Huck didn't want to be, but more so had qualities that were opposite of Huck. For instance, Huck may be slightly more mature than TOm. The differences make it easy to compare the two of them. I think I had mentioned before in one of my blogs that Huck and Tom balance each other out. The ways they are different make them a good pair of friends.

Jessica Pierce said:

Oh, definitely. Tom is a literary foil for Huck I blogged about this earlier). Tom, by fantasizing and accepting the corrupt moral world of his time, emphasizes Huck's decision to leave that world. The contrast between the characters makes both of them, especially Huck, recognizable. We can clearly see and analyze their actions and choices by their opposite characterizations.

Jeremy Barrick said:

You know, you may be onto something with that thought. But I will play devil's advocate and go on to say that I feel that Huck was envious of Tom. That is why he played Tom when he visited Tom's aunt and uncle. Maybe after Huck saw that Tom nearly died from playing around, he didn't want to be like him any more.

Jennifer Prex said:

That is an interesting point. Tom does seem to be almost a poster child for the society. He may not always completely adhere to the rules, but he is "sivilized" and goes along with the views society imposes on him.