Silver Slippers

First, I was highly disappointed that the slippers were silver and not red - but I guess I will just have to deal with that. :)  I thought it was interesting that Dorothy says "There is no place like home" (Ch4, p42) so early in the story.  This was the only time I saw her say this and I was very surprised that that was it.  It seemed too early for the story as I remember it, but within the text it seemed to work out just fine.  
Chapter nine was a little strange to me as the scarecrow is not supposed to be very smart yet.  Here he creates a plan to get the lion out of the poppy field, which would suggest he really is smart.  It seemed interesting that the reader knows he is really already smart, but the scarecrow doesn't think he is yet.  
The wizard's forms stood out to me as well.  The floating head, the beautiful lady, the scary beast and the fireball for Dorothy, the scarecrow, the tin woodman, and the lion (respectively) brought out the importance of having what they wanted, or even not having what they wanted.  The lion thought to walk in and scare the wizard but ended up frightened by him instead, since he was a huge fireball.  If the tin man had had a heart, it would have beat fiercely at the sight of such a scary beast.  The scarecrow did not know how to approach the wizard because she was too beautiful, making him more speechless than usual, and Dorothy saw something that reminded her of home, a human head.
I thought that how each saw the wizard magnified their desire to have what they did not.  While each one shows the reader that they really already have what they want, each character strives even more so obtain what they desire after seeing the wizard in multiple forms.  
I could go into color analysis, but that could go in far too many directions - blue in munchkinland, gold in the west, green in the emerald city, the china town, Glinda being red, white and blue - It could make for a very interesting discussion in class.

Jessica Apitsch said:

I definitely agree with the disappointment with the silver shoes! I also wrote about the characters displaying the very thing they thought they lacked throughout the whole text. I did not remember this in the movie so I am glad someone else brought this to attention. Maybe the author just wanted to create an obvious message for children that they had a brain, a heart, and courage all along. I did not pay much attention to the images of the wizard, so I really enjoyed your analysis of them! :). I payed more attention to how the author was trying to portray society during this time. Obviously this is a great story for children, but what else was he trying to say or who else was he trying to speak to, which are questions we should always ask when tackling a text or a movie.

Jeremy Barrick said:

I tried to go into color analysis as more a religious aspect, but I did not dig that deep.

Jennifer Prex said:

That was an interesting look at the supposedly many shapes of Oz. It makes sense. The Wizard had a constant desire to cause the people to be awestruck by him. He had an image to uphold. By utilizing the different shapes to stand in for his own body, he was able to keep this image with those four. Each of the characters, minus Dorothy, had said prior to going to meet Oz that they would have no trouble dealing with the shape the previous visitor had described. The shapes chosen for each character was specifically set to make sure that the characters were intimidated and awestruck and, as you stated, were used as a way to play upon what the characters wanted.