A true balance

"And we must never allow ourselves to forget that until the lives of all citizens are fully and fairly represented in the staffs and content of all news-papers, the American press has made a promise it has not yet kept." (48)

This chapter of Best Practices jumped out at me because it was different, different than any of the other journalistic problem areas that have been covered (multiple times) between this booklet and It Ain't Necessarily So.  Also, the chapter's content even covered some aspects of diversity I hadn't realized were an issue.  I thought issues of diversity would be limited to coverage and stories - I wouldn’t even have considered the issue of diversity in the news room as a part of the hiring/promotion process. 

The ways to improve diversity were very through.  They showed that even though issues of diversity may not be the hot stories they once were, diversity, and moreover ensuring that a news paper has diversity in both practice and coverage, is always an issue. 

Even though news rooms have improved in leaps and bounds from generations past, there is still much work to be done to ensure diversity.  Hopefully following this chapter's tips- from education, training, minority audits, and outside consultations with members of minority communities and minority experts - will help papers find true equality, which ultimately helps them produce a higher quality, more balanced paper. 

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: A true balance.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-sp23oozye_tb.cgi/11023

Bethany Merryman said:

Jackie! I totally agree. When I was reading about the actual diversity of the staff and hiring, I was shocked. I figured they were just going to talk about the diversity of stories, etc. Plus it is something new that we haven't yet learned about. I also agree about having a more balanced paper.

Not that it is even a big deal, but my local paper favors one high school over the rival and it is really unfair and unbalanced. One high school takes front page for its success while the other takes 3rd or 4th, but as soon as the disliked school has BAD news they go MAD! The balance is necessary!

Jara White said:

In one of my blog's I spoke about finding fair practices in newswriting, and I think your blog also manages to hit the nail on the head saying, the press doesn't have a perfect system and we've yet to be rid of all the kinks. But something such as intergrating more diversity in newsrooms, is a step towards providing a better system, and fulfilling the promises we made to the public.

Jara White said:

I really didn't think there was an issue of diversity in the newsroom itself. Perhaps that it the cause of the so-called diversity problem in story coverage. Nothing is perfect, nor will ever be, but that doesn't mean we stop stop trying. America's Best Practies was not meant to shed light onto journalistic problems, but to show people that they are working hard to correct their problems. While IANS kind of soured me on journalism, America's Best kind of gave me hop for the future.