The fight behind the vote

In his visit to Seton Hill, Allen Kukovich discussed state-wide issues of infrastructure, education, and health care, as well as the implications of inflated political campaign spending.  However, I was most moved by a more overarching theme he presented.  At the beginning of his speech, Kukovich made the remark that those who refuse to vote in order to take a stand only give more power to those who already have it.

This November will mark the first presidential election I'll be old enough to take part in, and although I think participation in government through voting is important, I must admit, in the back of my mind, I have considered not voting from time to time.  I don't really see this thought as an act of defiance or a way to take a stand, but more as a thought of defeat.  My reluctance to vote came from a feeling of being crushed by the weight political smear campaigns, name-calling and an endless list of candidate's vaguely-defined stances on issues. 

So Kukovich's opening remarks reached my ears as words of encouragement.  "Fight back against those flimsy attack ads, sift through all the garbage and find the heart of the issues!  Be informed! Vote!"  And cast my ballot I will, and whomever I vote for, I'll be sure to make an informed decision.   Democracy in this country may have its flaws and problems may be mounting by the day, but if voters do nothing, I think things can only get worse. 

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL236/2008/09/allen_kukovich_visit/

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: The fight behind the vote.

Dave Wilbanks said:

I completely agree with you. It also makes a huge difference when living in a battleground state. The first time I voted was in Idaho, where the pitiful amount of electoral votes are the permanent property of the Republican Party. While realistically, I might as well right in myself for president, its still important to vote for local offices. The hardest part of voting that most people neglect, is in researching their local candidates.
This is especially ironic as our state and municipal governments have a far greater impact on our day to day lives. Despite this, most people tend to ignore local candidates. I seem to recall reading of an incumbent mayor who won the election, despite having passed away prior to the election. One of the major goals of any campaign to educate voters should really begin at the local level.