The surprisingly personal side of Writing for the Web

I think I've been living this book without even knowing it!  From reading chapter one of Writing for the Web 3.0, I found that I am the typical websurfer.  I encapsulate all of the major characteristics that Kilian describes as typical in today's average website visitor: I am impatient, giving the average website about five seconds to load before I frantically press the "refresh" button about 15 times in rapid succession; I look for "jolts," yes, I'm even guilty of Google-ing myself in desperate moments of boredom; I find computer screens hard to read, dedicating time in both EL137 and EL236 to printing all the assigned online readings, without ever really knowing why... and I take on different roles when I visit different sites for different reasons, sometimes just brushing through various sites in search of one piece of information or toiling through a page in order to asses its credibility and usability in a research piece.

So I'm the run-of-the-mill website user.  But in this case, average might be helpful when I attempt to design my own sites.  Hopefully, I'll be able to imagine myself using the site I'm designing, thus pointing the pitfalls and potential problems of my site.  

Maddie Gillespie said:

You make a really good point about keeping your own personal surfing habits in mind when you design your website. It may be that the people who think (or surf) in the same way you do, will be the ones to visit your site first or more often. I don't think you should necessarily worry about being an average web surfer either. After all, it wouldn't be average if a whole lot of us out there didn't do it! The best thing you can do for the future is to keep this in mind and maybe try to change things little by little. If you want to, that is!

Dear Jackie,

I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one who Googles their name when they are bored. I have done it multiple times. I am also impatient, giving the average website about five seconds to load before I frantically press the "refresh" button about 15 times in rapid succession.
I think you make a great point in your blog. When we go about creating our own websites, we should take time to think about how we value the web and what is annoying about certain websites. Take all of them, and don't do them.

Peace.