When web-worlds collide: Web design and Electronic literature meet in Blog Portfolio #2

I feel like this section of EL236 Writing for the Internet could act as a microcosm for the entire class.  Throughout the latter half of September, I have built on my basic knowledge of HTML coding (which the class covered earlier in the month) by applying web design principles and the learning about the fascinating and diverse world of Electronic Literature.  The literature aspect of online writing was particularly interesting, and challenging, for me because I had no prior knowledge that such genres and works even existed.  So in short, this section of EL236 has covered both ends of the web writing spectrum: the very cut-and-dry design elements and the very experimental and expressive works of electronic fiction.  I have learned that both have their own set of rules (or lack there-of) and both can broaden your range as a web writer; design skills will be helpful for almost any audience, while electronic literature can help express the personal view of a client, your own personal views or challenge or question a literary audience at large.

Below are some links to recent blog entries that illustrate what I have learned.

Coverage:

Although I have blogged for every assignment, those listed below directly engage the text.  In them I've quoted the text and linked to the reading, if possible, and also linked back to the EL236 homepage.

Designs - On the first couple chapters of Crawford Kilian's Writing for the Web 3.0

Nightmares - My reaction to Lanuage points in Kilian

Authority - Reactions to writing tips in Kilian

Consumer - Writing for corporate audieces as discussed in Kilian

Mazes - My reactions to an introduction to Electronic Literature

Illusions - Reaction to The Body

Dreams II - An essay on the literary elements in The Dreamlife of Letters

Killian - A comprehensive review of Writing for the Web, with possible suggestions for improvement

Timeliness:

To learn, you have to do your assignments in an appropriate and timely fashion.  I try to make a strong effort to get my blogs done 24-hours before class, but if that doesn't happen, I always finish every blogs the day before class (just after 11 or 12). For larger assignments, I complete my blog in an adequate time before class begins.  Here, though, are some blogs I finished about 24-hours before class.

Authority

Questions and Answers - Kilian reading on blogs, resumes, and propaganda

Consumer

Mazes

Illusions

Hypertext and Beyond

Dreams I - An inital, personal reaction to The Dreamlife of Letters

Dreams II

Interaction:

Hardly anyone learns in isolation.  So these blogs demonstrate my ability to interact with others in my class.  That could mean that my blog attracted a lot of comments or that I linked to someone else's blog in my blog.  It also requires that I follow-up on comments others made on my blog.  I made a conscious effort this time around to try to improve my follow-ups, especially when I missed one class meeting.

Mazes

Designs 

Nightmares

Depth:

It's important at times to investigate beyond the bare minimum.  In these blogs, I try to do just that.  I think of these blog entries not only as the ones that had more words, but ones in which the quality of work implies that I did some more critical thinking.

Mazes

Illusions

Dreams I 

Dreams II 

Voting

Kilian

Discussion: 

Just as others comment on my blog, I return the favor.  Here, I comment on my classmate's blogs to spark a coversation.

On Jed's Blog - A lengthy conversation

On Kevin's Blog & Danni's Blog - Sometimes you yave to get the comment ball rolling!

On Maddie's Blog - Making some connections

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: When web-worlds collide: Web design and Electronic literature meet in Blog Portfolio #2.