Keesey: If a poem falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it recite itself?

"This concept implies...that we can have access to the poem quite apart from from the mind of its creator or the circumstances of its creation" (Keesey 76).

It's great that any work can live beyond itself, and the life and times of the person who created it.  Isn't this what makes a work great, that it is not only relevent to the time it was written, but many periods to come?

Derek Tickle said:

I completly agree with you! I think that literature is very important to society because it not only expresses history and topics when it was written, but it is revelant to many occurring themes in today's 21st century world. So, if a poem is written and no one ever sees it then we may have lost its great potential and literary importance to the society of that time.

Jenna said:

I agree. I think that is what makes a work “classic.” When you look at all the works that we study, most of the works have something that is applicable today.

Michelle Tantlinger said:

I think that is what makes truly great literature. Can I find meaning in this today? Kate Chopin's "The Awakening" is my favorite story. I relate to the main character even though on the outside we have nothing in common. Her character's feelings are ones a lot of women have to this day and it was written in the late 1800's.