Miko: "The Tempest" is not a neat knot

"Does this play have loose ends or not?  Those who lean toward heavily symbolic readings tend to think not; those who favor character analysis and even moral analysis tend to think it does" (Miko 375).

I am just throwing this out there for everyone...I am curious to read what you think, are there loose ends?  I would have to say that yes there are, since there are so many possible ways to read a work, how could there not be?  But, as the quote above states, there are ways to read this work that finish it without contest.  What do you think?

Derek Tickle said:

What an intersting, yet simple quote. I think that the loose ends depend on how you read the text. If a reader focuses on symbolism in a text, then they will, most likely, not see that loose ends. This is because they are searching for one specific concept in a text. If a reader approaches the text like a formalist, then they will focus on the specific words and style instead of one area. A formalist reading is still limiting, but less contrived.

Overall, the best way to understand the "loose ends" and the text is to begin with an open mind and no influenced opinions from other readers. This will be difficult, but it gives the reader more options instead of focusing on one theme or concept.

Bethany Merryman said:

I believe that all works of literature, music, and films have loose ends. Honestly if everything fit perfectly together and worked out, it wouldn't be interesting to study.

In the larger scheme of things, I feel there was a conclusion in the play, but like Dr. Jerz explained the conclusion can still present loose ends because every story is just a part of a bigger story board.