Before you Click!!!

Do the risque pages matter if teacher performance is not hindered and if students, parents and school officials don't see them?

When Young Teachers Go Wild on the Web

I do think that it matters, because every employer has the right to choose the person they see as fit for the job.  I don't think that you are fit to teach when you post mature pictures on your website or call mentally retarded kids "retards" when they are your own students.  I think that my favorite phrase since starting this course is the internet is transparent.  We must assume that all of the things we hide on the internet will be discovered sooner or later.

I know that I don't want my career to affect my personal life when I finally go out into the workplace, but I understand that there are certain things that I can do that will undermine my company's mission.  If I was a CIA agent, I could not post Top Secret weapon plans on the internet without losing my job.  Parents don't want to see their own kids with picture of these things on their personal pages let alone the people who are supposed to be setting an example for our children.

The problem with the internet is that it is permanent without the aid of personal feedback.  If a person says something off color in conversation, chances are someone tells that person that the joke went too far.  And even if everyone is thinking it, the sentence happened in a moment, and that is all people can hold against said person.  In the internet, no one says that things went too far, and to make things worse, things do not disappear from the realm of the web very easily.  A rash joke combined with a lapse in judgment can cause problems that last a lifetime.  It all comes back to think before you click.  Peace out :-)

The Course Site

Denamarie Ercolani said:

I completely agree with you on the idea that the internet is transparent and that we must assume that all of the things we hide on the internet will be discovered sooner or later.

Every employer does have the right to choose the person they see as fit for the job, but you can't live in your professional world 24-7, 365 days out of the year. You need sometime to just be you, carefree and wild.

Where does the line of professionalism end and your own social life begin and vice versa?

I agree with both of you. But I think that a line has to be drawn. I'm sorry if you want more privacy and you're a teacher, but you should have known what you were going to face when you got into your career - even before then.

I feel bad that some teachers are unable to have that privacy that everyone wants but in this kind of case, I think you have to realize that in a social network like Facebook, maybe you should only join the network that relates to your college.

Though that may be limiting, I think at that point in time and esp. in that kind of profession, it's time to grow up and be the example of something good not the example of what not to do.

Andy Lonigro said:

I agree with all of you and I think this converstaion really hinges on the idea of professionalism. If someone doesn't care if he or she is professional or not, then be my guest and put as many nude pictures of yourself at springbreak online as you want. It's all a part of human responsibility and the Internet simply magnifies the choices that we make, whether good or bad. As a future teacher I know that I want to be a role model for my students so whatever I have online has the posibility of being brought up by a parent, a student, or a faculty member. That is the risk we all must take if we are seriously thinking about being professionals at something someday.