Synthesizing Info while Sick

The first thing that I noticed about the third chapter is that it constantly talks of fitting paragraphs into nice little chunks...while the paragraph is twenty pages long.  I am not insinuating anything by this, it's just an observation that I had.

I thought that this chapter was often preaching to the choir for me.  Anyone who saw the comment on the course website from earlier in this week will attest to the fact that I can produce a nice blurb every now and then.  Just for the record, no puppies were sad or harmed in the making of that comment.

There was a lot of information in this section, but I will try to keep this blog down to a reasonable size since I am not feeling real great (or coherent) right now.  The one thing that really stood out to me, in my literary ignorance, was that it is accepted and even encouraged to put bulleted lists on the internet.  I am from the school of thought that you put everything into well organized paragraphs and sentences.  This book has really taught me to question everything when it comes to writing for the web.

One final thing that made me say "Aha" was the section on the studies of how people scan a website.  I always noticed that there was a banner at the top, a navbar down the side, and text justified to the left of most pages, I just never consciously thought about it.  And while I'm thinking about it, I usually tend to become irate when websites do not follow this template on their homepages.

I have to move on to the next chapter so I can get some rest.  Keep talking, and I will keep answering.

Click here for the chance to win a trip to EL236!

"The first thing that I noticed about the third chapter is that it constantly talks of fitting paragraphs into nice little chunks...while the paragraph is twenty pages long."

I totally agree. I'm like 'Augh! Follow your own advice!' It's beginning to get hard for me to read this too because I only come across maybe one topic I don't really know in each chapter. (And there are like 6 topics each chapter!)

As for scanning, I realized in this chapter that I do the same F pattern (most of the time too) and for really long stuff, I just get bored or print it out. (But I think I knew most of that subconsiously.)

Jed Fetterman said:

I am struggling with it too, Aja. Some of the points he makes are so vague that I want to believe that I actually practice them, but I am not sure. Take the passive voice, for instance: I would like to think that people have harped on my enough in my independent studies that it is a small part of my written voic, but no one has ever tested me on the subject, so how can I be sure. I take that back. I think that the SATs check for stuff like that in the essay section, but you never get to see their critiques, so it does not help me that much.