Am I Evil?

We'll get to that later, but here is the chain of events.

I had played Slouching Toward Bedlam some before, so I knew how to do some things like turn Triage on.  I quickly did those things at the beginning, then turned to explorer the unknown elements of the game.

I started out in the office.  I searched everywhere, got the key under the blotter, got the rod, got all of the cylinders.  I listend to all of the cylinders, with their ominous Slouching Toward Bedlam tone.  The only interesting thing that I found was that there is some sort of political prisoner lock up in the upper north wing.  Then I went out and examined the panopticon, rode it up and down a couple of times, investigated Corridor 6 and got bored.

Then I decided to strike up a conversation with James, the receptionist who sits outside the office.  I asked him about everything from the panopticon to the previous doctor, and then starting typing in weird, random commands to amuse myself.  Most of the time he would say "Hmm..." or "That's interesting."  After becoming bored with that, I decided to do what I always do in these games, type "punch" followed by an object (in this case James).  It freaked me out because you cannot stab anything, but by punching James I was able to kill him with a letter opener.  Then I went outside the front doors and decided to "punch" the cabbie who was waiting there; he died of strangulation.  It was creepy because every time I killed someone, the game would say that the cold gains a stranglehold on you or something like that. / (thereisalsothefreakyvoicethatusesnospacesinitssentences) \ 

If I had the patience, I would actually try to figure out what all of this meant.  If I kill enough people, does the cold eventually take a hold of my body and kill me?  What is the freaky voice with no spaces?  What was with the inmate in the upper-north passage?  As much as I respect Dr. Jerz though, I have much more homework to get to, and I do not think that most of the other professors would give me leniency for playing a text based game instead of writing essays.  If someone has figured out part of the game, let me know what happens.

The thing that I would really like to know, though, is what it says about my personality if my initial response to a period of stagnation in the plot is to punch something.  In an essay I wrote, I talked about pulling a rod out of the wounded astronaut's back and watching him bleed to death because I could not find a bandage.  Did I really feel pity for the man?  I'm not sure that I like the person that these IF games bring out in me.

Someone let me know about my morality, and the morality of other souls in the same boat as me.  The EL236 fun-cruise.

It's okay that you stopped after an hour, Jed. That's why I put a limit on the exercise -- if you choose to go longer, maybe in order to get an extra "depth" blog entry, you'll get a lot more out of the experience, but I think you've learned all you need to in order to prepare you to start your own programming effort.

The game is probably interpreting "punch" as a generic term for "attack," which is why your attacks are not all punches... since "stab" would only work if you were holding a sharp object, I guess the designers chose not to implement that verb.

Jed Fetterman said:

It just came as a shock. One moment, I thought that I was just going to beat the guy up, the next moment he was lying on the floor bleeding. If only that defense would hold up in court.