Get Ye Flask

I have been looking to this day for a while because I was hoping this was what it would be about, as vague as it sounds.

I have never played a text-based game before in my life.  Furthermore, l can barely imagine a game with no graphics, and only 16k of memory, I think I've written papers that take up more memory than that.  I can also not fathom the fact that people actually found these games fun, but more of that later.

Audience: Examine tree.
Adams: I see a tree. It looks climbable. Obvious exits: N, S, E, and W.
Audience: Climb the tree.
Adams: Two words! Two words! We don't let you get away with anything here. Ok, climb tree. 

I'm in the top of the tree. To the east I see a meadow. Obvious exits: Down.

I found this quote immensely hilarious though.  It embodies everything that I have heard about text games.  They are painfully annoying, and next to impossible to beat.  It reminds me of a phase I went through a couple of years ago, when I wanted to play the Myst series.  The problem is, I would start playing them and they would be next to impossible to solve.  I would always go online and find walkthroughs.  There is also the first-person element to both game styles, and they both involve problem solving.  To me, even if they were impossible to figure out at the time, these were more fun than the shooter games that I have wasted less than 24 hours of my entire life on.

So where have I heard about "archaic" text games.  Well, my friends discovered something known as Dungeon Man, created by the comic character Strong Bad.  The game pokes fun at the old text games by taunting the player when unusable commands are typed, and the way commands are written for these games.  I was surprised to learn that there is now a third version of the game, and I wasted a lot of time playing it before writing this.  So I would encourage you to give these a try, and see the humorous side of these games, along with the serious side presented on the other side.  Now, if you excuse me, I have more games to play.

Obvious exits are North, South, and Dennis (I didn't plan it this way, Dr. Jerz, it just worked out ;-). 

Jed, you might want to take a look at this assignment from my "Video Game Culture and Theory" course.

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/teaching/EL250/2008/01/strong_bad_on_videogames.php

On the day that cartoon was first published, three or four different people e-mailed me to tell me about it.

Jed Fetterman said:

Thanks Dr. Jerz. I always thought these games and videos were funny in a stupid way. I never really thought of Strong Bad as being able to start a truly academic discussion. I am having my eyes opened up to all sorts of discussions about simple things in our lives. Now, do you do anything with Teen Girl Squad, I wonder?

OMG! Thank you for reminding me about StongBad and Teen Girl Squad! I used to love him and then my computer crashed and I had to transfer all my files by my memory (which is horrible) to another computer months later.

I also love to play games like Strongbad and some of the one's on Newgrounds. Not all of the games are shooter games.

AH STRONGBAD!! NO WAY! :)

Hyperturbo fill-in-the-blank barrage!