Hypertext Vol. 1

I was supposed to choose four works from Electronic Literature Collection Vol. 1.  In reality I looked at five or six. 

• The first one that I looked at was Carving in the Possibilities.  This one was not annoying, but it was too easy to mouse over text and lose a sentence or two.  I realize that you may not need to see every piece of information, but I still like it when I do.  And, since your mouse is 'carving' out David's statue, if you go back and read a sentence that you miss, it only shortens the duration of time for viewing the piece.
  • Next was 10:01, a collection of the thoughts people have ten minutes and one second before a movie begins.  The story in this one was probably the most traditional, and understandable, of all that I tried.  I do not see how making the story electronic enhances the work, though.  There are few hyperlinks thrown in, and a couple of sounds make the story slightly more dramatic.
  • Then there was carrier (becoming symborg).  This one was quite interesting because it took a deadly virus and gave it a personality.  However, the effect was minimized somewhat when Vista and Internet Explorer kept asking me to install Shockwave player to make the story work right.
  • Then there was Tao, a 38 second long poem that scrolls by while showing a video taped as a car drives down a scenic highway.  It was too quick to make a sizeable impression though; 38 seconds seems like a long time, but in reality it is extremely fast for a work of literature.
  • Finally, I looked at Dramlife of Letters.  This one scrolls third-grade level words through in various manners.  I assume that it went all the way to the end of the alphabet, but I did not have the patience to find out. 

All of these, except the last, make an excellent case for a deeper reading.  Come back next time to discover which one I chose.

The preeminent source for Writing for the Internet.

Daniella Choynowski said:

You know, it took me a couple seconds before I even realized that as you moved over the words, the stone got carved deeper and deeper. Also, did you notice that the words that popped up sometimes dealt with that particular part of the face, like the eyes? I though it would be a little like "The Body" at first. don't really know what the artistic vision was, other than praising David, but maybe that was it.

Jed Fetterman said:

I kind of got the inpression that this was also designed to show the joy in creating something out of nothing. A lot of the quotes that I included on another entry seem to originate from an artist looking with pride over the masterpiece.